Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Business of Hoopin'

In November the universe surprised me with a test of the "When one door closes, another opens" phenomena. On Wednesday, I found out that I was being laid off from my "real" job and on Thursday I got a call from a dance studio looking for a hoop teacher. Since November, I have been teaching classes and workshops at Contradiction Dance in Takoma Park and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I am still trying to figure out how to earn a real living from it, but the reward has truly been a shift within myself as I've gained confidence as a teacher, and the pleasure derived from watching students go from doubting themselves to becoming beautiful hoop dancers.

The biggest block to a students learning seems to be in their own views of themselves. That is, trying to get students to set aside the "I can't hoop" mentality that they enter the first class with. I know that I struggled with this as well and reading through these old posts on the blog is a hard reminder of the process that I went through to teach myself how to think more positively about myself, my talents and my progress. (Sometimes I still struggle with this).

The skill of conscious and positive thinking is something that I am getting better and better at as I have been practicing it for more than two years now!! And now with the development of my new business it is being put to new tests. But so far I am seeing huge rewards! New ideas, opportunities, performances, and business offers are coming to me nearly every day. My confidence is growing exponentially as I continually see the turn of investment of my thoughts and dreams becoming realities!

No comments:

Post a Comment